Conquering One of My Enemies

We all have fears in life. A fear that we have can create a goal to overcome said fear. Well, I proudly have overcame one of my "fears" this past weekend. Although, it was personally a strong disliking of mine rather than just a 'fear'.  A disliking that gave) me anxiety and worry. Roller coasters. Yes, the fear I overcame  was roller coasters, which includes heights, and those freakin' dips that turn your stomach inside-out, and the anxiety you get when you get locked in super tight in some tiny as hell cart, and yeah, all of that crap. #EdgarUncensored Well, anyways, my first experience with roller coasters was six years ago (6th grade) at a pretty extreme place-- Disneyland. Woah. Sarcasm aside, for a "first-timer", Splash Mountain ain't no picnic! At least for me it wasn't. I was terrified. I felt so much anxiety and panic each dip in the ride that I overcame, it freakin' sucked. While Disneyland provided me with a joy in enjoying whimsical scenery, it also gave me horror with the thought of having to go on a death coaster. My second time enduring death was two years later at Universal Studios. I know, so much more bold. Well, I still hated roller coasters. I was still terrified. Let's just say I'm still sorry to the Asian tourist that had to sit next to me on the Jurassic Park ride,  I'll pay to get him a new shirt one day... Now, just two days ago, I spent my day at Knotts Berry Farm. Intense.  I'm a crazy man, I know. As I looked around, I saw nothing but huge rides, which actually relieved me. "If these are all the rides in the park, I'm in the clear! I don't have to get on any because none of my family will! They're insane!"  Wrong. My cousin and I were strolling all over the (really confusing to figure out) park and noticed a roller coaster that seemed not  to bad to ride on. Gulp. As my cousin was anticipating to get in that small as hell cart, I dreaded it. My heart beat got faster and faster as we moved further along in line. Crap, we're next. As the cart slowly moved it's way along the up-spiraling tunnel of death, only to be dropped  completely downwards, I was praying for my life. As it dropped, and as my vocal box shattered into 1,000 pieces, I was suddenly free. Free from my fear, it was no longer a fear. It is now a joy. For the the very first time, I felt joy as I rode the roller coaster. I had this adrenaline that freed my soul and allowed me to close my eyes and enjoy the crazy opportunities life gives us. I am now in love with this feeling. As I did overcome one of my fears, I believe it was more of a goal accomplished; one of enjoying a rollercoaster like everybody else on the ride, rather than dreading it. Live life! Lets go have some damn fun! My liberation felt amazing! I'm not saying that I'm going skydiving next week, but little-by- little I'll build up the courage to do an extreme thing like that. Roller coasters are a start. Until next time, goal-er coasters. (Please don't hate me for that.) Hope everyone had a meaningful and significant three-day weekend.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram

Pictures. @thats_so_edgar

Twitter Updates

Follow me. @hausedgar

Meet The Author

All I know is that I will not soley define myself as "RHS Senior".